Damian Kristof joined the Dayton Metro Library system in January, 2021. Originally from the Cleveland area, he has worked in various roles at libraries in Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati since 2001. Prior to being named Brookville Branch Manager, Damian worked as a teen librarian in the Cincinnati library system and he continues to hold teen and youth services close to his heart. He studied history at the Ohio State University and received his MLIS from Kent State. Damian lives in Brookville with his moderately well-behaved Yorkie. He enjoys travel, outdoor activities, watching the Buckeyes and the Reds, and he is active in his church.
There are eight full and part time staff members and five library aides at the Brookville Branch. The staff offers special support for early literacy assistance through weekly baby, toddler, and preschool Storytimes. There is an emphasis on STEM programming for school age children and teens through LEGO robotics and coding programs. The Brookville Branch staff offers technological assistance with one-on-one training on laptops and tablets, as well as group classes on different aspects of technology.
The Brookville Branch Library has developed many community partnerships. Children’s Librarians visit the local schools, Little Angels Preschool, and Brookville Head Start. Many classes visit the Library regularly, because the elementary school is within walking distance. The Teen Librarian makes presentations to classes and leads monthly book discussions at the middle and high schools, in addition to having weekly programs for teens at the Library. The Library stays connected to the business community through partnerships with Brookville Chamber of Commerce.
Brookville’s first library was founded in 1917, when a group of citizens formed the Brookville Library Association. In 1936, the Dayton Public Library took over management of the library collection and Brookville became the first county branch. The current facility opened to the public in August, 2016. “The Visitors” sculpture from the former building was moved to the new location, and four new works of art were created for the new Library.